Established by immigrants mainly from southern Spain, La Perona was one of the many shanty towns that mushroomed in Barcelona during the Franco era. It was founded in 1947 and named after Eva Perón, the Argentinian first lady, who visited Spain that year. At its height in the 1970s it was made up of some 1,000 dwellings, home to about 5,000 people. It was finally cleared in 1989 to make way for a park.
The Look of Innocence
A 1970s shanty town
(Click images to open and close)